Hi there! My name is Aryane. Welcome to my travel and food blog, Valises & Gourmandises!
I was born and raised in beautiful Québec, the French-speaking province of Canada (hence the French title Valises & Gourmandises). After visiting Europe for the first time in September 2013, my boyfriend and I decided to move to Germany to master their complex language. Since we’ll be taking the opportunity to visit many countries and cities for the next few years, it felt like the right time to start the blog project that had always been lurking in the back of my mind.
Incidentally, I’ve always enjoyed cooking and baking, and since becoming a vegetarian in early 2014, I started looking for more new recipes online, which further fueled my passion for food and my desire to launch my own blog.
In the end, I was just surrounded by too much inspiration to not go throught with it. And now here we are :)
Acting on my beliefs
I’ve always liked the taste of meat, but I never considered myself a meat-eater. Most of us are raised eating it and I had never really stopped to think about what a carnivorous diet entails.
In 2013, I watched Vegucated and Food Inc. on Netflix, which were eye-opening documentaries for me. It prompted me to educate myself on the matter by looking at other sources, and there are a lot them. This shed light on how animals are treated, how the mass production of meat comes with environmental repercussions, and it showed me that I have so many other alternative options as a consumer.
I wasn’t ready to completely remove animal products from my diet though, but I instinctively started consuming less and less of them. As time went by, I began paying more attention to what I eat and discovered a passion for cooking.
Then I reached a point in early 2014 when I decided it was time to act on what I believed in and make a strong commitment to stop eating meat… for good. With the support of my boyfriend and family, and some help from the countless great blogs out there, I’m able to hold true to my resolution every day without much struggle. I think I do it for the right reasons and, at the end of the day, being part of the solution makes me feel much better about myself.
I’ve started eating more and eating healthier, and it’s given me so much more energy for everyday life.
Most important of all, I’ve realized that a lot of people share my beliefs, and that many others are willing to listen to me to understand my motives. I truly feel that I can make a difference, one person at a time, without condemning or lecturing anyone but rather by leading by example and sharing what I’ve learned with those interested in knowing.
This blog is my way of sharing my love for healthy eating and traveling, and also some other passions like writing (duh!) photography, maybe eventually some DIYing, and so on.
Hopefully, I’ll inspire some of you along the way.
Some random facts about me…
- English is not my first language. I was born and raised in Québec and my mother tongue is French. I also speak very good Spanish. A little German and Italian too.
- Although I generally have a small appetite, my sweet tooth is insatiable and I have yet to find a limit to the amount of candy I can eat.
- I am the youngest of three girls. My sisters are my best friends.
- I am tiny at 5’3’’… in heels…
- I have won every limbo contest that I’ve participated in.
- I have never broken any bones, but a few years back I cracked some ribs after slipping on ice.
- Taking a plane used to be my greatest phobia. Luckily, it took just one flight to overcome my fear.
- One of my dreams is to participate in humanitarian work somewhere in the world. Surprisingly, you need a lot of money to do that…
- I am full of freckles and proud of them.
- Big Fish is my all time favorite movie.
- My dream destination is Bora Bora.
- I am a book worm.
- I am a Grammar Nazi.
- I hold a Bachelor’s degree in Translation from Université de Montréal.
Write me up!