You don’t have to work for hours in the kitchen to enjoy these smoky vegan baked beans. They come together in only 15 minutes and are perfect for your next brunch as well as your weeknight dinners!
Back in April, Martin and I headed up north to Aarhus, Denmark, to spend the weekend with our friend Gabrielle. I think it’s safe to say that she likes cooking as much as I do and, to our delight, she had planned delicious meals for the entire length of our stay.
One that definitely grabbed our attention was a big pot of vegan baked beans she’d made for breakfast. We had never eaten them this way and were immediately smitten with the luscious tomato sauce. Actually Martin constantly asks me to make them but I just kept putting it off. Until now.
I cooked a huge batch of black eyed peas in my rice cooker, which is a great way to save money and be more environment-friendly than always buying tins. I simply soaked the dried beans into lots of fresh water overnight, drained and rinsed them well and cooked them in 3 times the amount of water. I added a bit of baking soda (about a ¼ teaspoon) to help soften them and avoid the tough consistency you sometimes get with home cooked beans.
I set aside 1 ½ cup for the recipe and froze the rest for later use. Meal prep people! It’ll save you so much time in the kitchen. And FIY, you can use any bean you like: kidney beans, white beans, even chickpeas will work well. Just use whatever you have on hand.
If your beans are already cooked, it literally takes 15 minutes from start to finish. I like to cook my own, but grabbing a can of the organic beans of your choice will work just fine. It’s the perfect recipe for busy weeknights, college students, lazy cooks and foodies alike.
Why I know you’ll love this dish.
Can be frozen
We like to devour ours on a thick slice of sourdough bread from the market and top it with avocado, black pepper and hot sauce. So. Good.
If you try this recipe, make sure to snap a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook tagging me & using the hashtag #valisesetgourmandises. I wanna see your creations! And don’t forget to leave a comment below :)
15-minute vegan baked beans
- ½ onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar or use molasses or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of shoyu soy sauce
- 1 ½ cup of cooked beans the equivalent of one 400g can
- ½ cup passata plain tomato sauce
- Optional add-ins
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Add about one tablespoon of water to a pan on medium-high heat. Cook the onions and garlic until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, smoked paprika, oregano, coconut sugar and soy sauce and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and the tomato passata and cook until thickened, at least 5 minutes. To give a deeper taste, add liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce (make sure to use a vegan version, which you should find in the organic section of most grocery stores).
Adapted from Great British Chefs’ recipe
**This article may contain non-sponsored ads in the form of affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you purchase a product through them. The price remains the same for you, but this way you are helping me maintaining the blog and providing you more interesting content! :)