I remember the utter aversion I had towards avocados a few years back. Seeing my mom eat it with a spoon used to repulse me. A few years later, when my roommate did it, I still found it gross. And then one day I tried avocado hosomakis.
It did take me a few attempts, but that’s how I was finally able to get used to the taste and texture. I say “get used to”, but in fact I’ve become the weirdo who can’t get enough of avocado sandwiches and avocado toast.
Which is why I’m sharing one of my go-to recipes with you today. I eat it for breakfast, for lunch, for supper, as a healthy snack. Basically whenever I’m too lazy to cook or need a quick avocado fix! And you don’t even need a food processor to make this lightspeed recipe, just a bowl and a fork will do the trick.
So I’m giving you my basic combination here, but you could for example add fresh lime juice and cilantro to get a Mexican-style spread that would go deliciously with old-style corn chips!
I try to keep avocados on hand for when I’m short on ideas or time to cook. Let’s just say that my healthy spread has come in handy quite a few times!
How about you, what’s your favourite way to enjoy avocado? If you try this recipe, make sure to snap a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #valgourmandises. I wanna see your creations! :)
Basic avocado toasts
- 6 plain brown rice cakes or crackers, or wholegrain bread
- 6 local cherry tomatoes cut in 4 (or 1 large fresh tomato, sliced)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Sri Racha or other spicy sauce
- Pinch or turmeric and Cayenne
- Garnish: hempseeds nutritional yeast, fresh herbs
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado. Add all the ingredients and mix well with a fork, leaving some chunks if wanted.
- Divide on 4 slices of wholegrain bread, or 6 rice cakes. Top with tomatoes and sprinkle with hempseeds and nutritional yeast.
Leave a Reply