Today was busy: I got up super late to recover from the weekend (it ain’t easy getting old), looked at places to stay for our trip in Italy and washed two loads of laundry. I also made a scrumptious tapioca pudding with rum and coconut milk, topped with a tropical fruit salsa and I finally saved those old bananas from the compost bin and baked perfect eggless banana & peanut butter muffins.
I had promised my boyfriend that a nice supper would be waiting for him when he got back from work, but what he found instead was a big pile of dirty dishes along with some tasty dessert and breakfast. But no sign of dinner.
I had to think fast. I always keep a bag of frozen vegetables (the Asian-style mix) and a pack of rice noodles for this sort of occasion, or for whenever I don’t want to spend an hour making supper.
I’m a big fan of all kinds of peanut sauces, but I rarely make it because I usually can’t get the right texture. Until tonight.
I gave up on commercial PB and only purchase 100% real peanut butter at a local store. They have this machine that crushes the nuts, which results in deliciously thick and chunky PB. I love knowing where my food comes from! The downside is that I had a hard time making a smooth sauce with it. But I finally had an epiphany and mixed it with warm (almost hot) vegetable stock. Win!
I finally found the perfect technique, which was quite obvious I must admit. But hey, I can’t be perfect aaall the time. :)
Express Peanut Sauté
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion minced
- 1 big garlic clove pressed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- ½ pack of good quality frozen Asian vegetable mix
- ½ block tofu about 200g, diced
- 2 portions rice noodles
- PEANUT SAUCE
- 3 teaspoons natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey, but no longer vegan
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot pepper sauce
- ¾ cup warm/hot vegetable broth
- In a large pan or wok, melt coconut oil on high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetables and ginger. When vegetables are thawed, add tofu and continue sautéing until everything is cooked.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the package instructions.
- Blend sauce ingredients well, except vegetable broth.
- Add warm broth to the PB sauce mixture. Blend well and add to the pan.
- *Serve with roasted peanuts and green onion