This is a recipe I’ve had under my sleeve for quite a while. I have no idea what took me so long to publish it. Especially since I know you guys are gonna love it.
Why you ask? Well first, it’s super delicious, obviously, and secondly, it’s all cooked in one pot. I mean who likes to spend an hour washing dishes after a long day at work? I know I don’t. Not even after a day spent in my PJs…
And the avocado sour cream is the perfect addition. You could also get some corn tortillas and dunk them in the sour cream. There’s no wrong way to enjoy it really.
So without further ado, you’ve waited long enough, here’s the recipe.
One-pot vegan tex-mex quinoa casserole
- 1 yellow onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup fair-trade quinoa uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 fresh organic tomatoes diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup black beans cooked and drained
- Toppings: green onion fresh cilantro, cherry tomatoes, avocado sour cream
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, soften the onion in a little bit of olive oil. Add the garlic and the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, the broth, the diced tomato, the corn and the beans and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and let simmer until all the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the avocado sour cream.
- Divide the quinoa into four bowls, top with green onion, cilantro, cherry tomatoes and a few tablespoons of sour cream.
Vegan avocado sour cream
- ½ cup organic cashew nuts raw and unsalted, soaked in water for 2 to 8 hours
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ organic avocado diced
- Drain the nuts and place into the bowl of your blender (ideally high-power blender) with all the ingredients except avocado.
- Purée. Add the avocado and blend until smooth. If the mix is too thick, add some water or lemon juice.