Hey there! Today I fought through my intense neck pain to prepare the lunch I’d had in mind for a couple of days. Yup, I sucked it up and made us beautiful sushi along with a healthy miso soup. What’s the link between sushi and sweet potato fries? Don’t worry, the pain hasn’t robed me of my sanity, at least not yet.
Have you ever tried sweet potato in sushi? I discovered the surprising combo during my trip to Montreal last summer, while having lunch with my best friend at Sushi Momo, a vegan sushi restaurant located on the Plateau! Sushi aficionados like me can now indulge guilt-free, I highly recommend the place!
So, sweet potato sushi, try it.
Note that you can also eat the fries on their own without feeling bad. Both sweet and spicy, they’re super crunchy without even using a deep fryer. This time, I made them with all-purpose flour, but next time I’ll probably try a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat. If you do give them a go, I’d like to have your feedback!
How about you, are you crazy about sweet potatoes too? If you try this recipe, make sure to snap a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #valisesetgourmandises. I wanna see your creations! :)
Spicy oven-baked coconut-tempura sweet potato fries
- 1 medium-sized organic sweet potato
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour use chickpea flour for a gluten-free version
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
- Sriracha to taste
- Generous pinch of salt
- Shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 450F (225C). Wash the sweet potato well and cut it in fry shapes, not too big not too small.
- Place flour in a bowl, gradually whisk in the liquids until you get a nice thick batter; add some coconut milk if it’s too thick. Add Sriracha (I added about 2 tablespoons) and salt to taste.
- Using a fork, dip each fry in the batter and cover well, one at a time. Place on a baking sheet covered with a silicon mat. Sprinkle with shredded coconuts and bake for about 30 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
- Enjoy alone or in tasty sushis.