*edited on March 13th, 2019
I can’t be the only one who hates lunches, am I? It used to be easy: Bon Matin bread, mayo, cold cuts and voilà, problem solved. But the fact that neither I nor Martin have access to a microwave at work makes things more complicated. I finally bought a thermos at Fairkauf, the German equivalent of The Salvation Army, but I never think to use it.
Earlier today, I had a gorgeous loaf of homemade bread on my countertop and a small block of smoked tofu in my fridge just begging to be put to good use. All that was missing to turn my inspiration into reality was a can of chickpeas. Since we recently moved behind an organic grocery store, 10 minutes later I was ready to start whipping up a healthy homemade tofu spread.
I used whatever I had in my fridge i.e. carrots, bell peppers, spring onions, etc. But go ahead and use what you have on hand or what you prefer. You can also experiment with the quantities, nothing’s set in stone here. Enjoy on a fresh slice of bread or in a sandwich, garnished with lettuce and flavourful tomato slices.
If you try this recipe, make sure to snap a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #valisesetgourmandises. I wanna see your creations! And don’t forget to leave a comment below :)
Chickpea and smoked tofu spread
- 1.5 cup chickpeas rinsed and strained
- 175 g organic smoked tofu
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon organic dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper
- 1 small organic carrot diced
- ¼ organic bell pepper diced
- 2 spring onions minced
- In a food processor, dice the veggies and reserve in a separate bowl. Add chickpeas, smoked tofu and lemon juice to the food processor and blend well, leaving a few chunks. (You can also cut the veggies by hand and mix the legumes and tofu with an immersion blender.)
- Transfer into a bowl, add the seasonings and mix well with a spoon. Add the veggies and herbs.