You don’t need a ton of sugar to obtain a delicate-tasting rhubarb sauce. Try date fruits for a sweeter taste and added nutrition
When I was little, my sisters and I used to go on quests for fresh rhubarb on my grand-mother’s land. We would then happily dip the fruit of our labour in a little bowl filled with good ol’ white refined sugar placed in the middle of the table.
I like the taste of rhubarb, it’s reminiscent of my childhood, but let’s be honest and admit that its distinctively sour taste can be hard to swallow. I had been craving rhubarb compote for a while, but I didn’t feel like cringing at every bite.
And stuffing it with sugar wasn’t an option either. Luckily, I had the genius idea of using my star sweetener, date fruits. These delicious dried fruits, even though they’re made of about 80% sugar, are high in fiber as well as vitamins and minerals and, contrary to popular belief, they don’t make you fat. And we’re talking about the natural sugar of the fruits, not sugar that’s undergone who knows how many transformations and lost all its nutrients.
The result of fresh rhubarb and dried dates simmered into a compote together is amazing! We ate it by the spoon, spread on toasts and on buckwheat pancakes and I bet it would be fantastic on vanilla ice cream, with fresh strawberries, chocolate syrup and a couple of nuts.
Oh yum, I think I’ve just found myself a new project! Edit: find the recipe here :) Sugar-free nice cream & rhubarb parfait
Rhubarb & Date Fruit Compote
- 2 cups rhubarb (215g) cut in large chunks
- ¾ cup date fruits (100g) cut in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- Place all the ingredients together in a pot on medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer until the fruits are very soft.
- Puree using an immersion blender if you want to.
- Let simmer until the compote reaches the desired texture, more or less liquid. Transfer to an air-tight container and keep in the fridge for a few days.
**This article contains a few affiliate links, which means that I will receive a small commission if you purchase a product through them. The price remains the same for you, but this way you are helping me maintaining the blog and providing you more interesting content! :)