This easy vegan cream is made with silken tofu and cashews for a perfect consistency. Its neutral taste makes it the perfect addition to your favourite dishes!
Let’s continue this tofu series, shall we? In part 2, I shared with you a chocolate mousse made with sweet potato and silken tofu and you may be wondering what to make with the leftover tofu. Well today, I’ve got the perfect recipe for you; an easy vegan cream made with only 4 ingredients if you don’t count the water :)
It’s so tasty and simple that you’ll be wondering why you haven’t been making it all your life. I’ve even included a short video on my YouTube channel, which you can also watch directly below.
How to use this easy vegan cream
By combining silken tofu with cashews, you obtain a nice neutral taste that lends itself perfectly to almost any dish. You can add it to soups, salad dressings… Or you could add some homemade pesto to it for the best pasta ever. Also, I haven’t tried yet, but I think that it would also work perfectly in sweet dishes too.
However, it would not work well as a coffee creamer nor as whipping cream, unfortunately. Also, note that it might thicken up a little bit once refrigerated and that you can simply thin it out by adding some water, if needed.
And if like me you’re a mushroom lover, then make sure to try my comforting mushroom stroganoff recipe! Or this vegan cream of mushroom soup. I took advantage of the beautiful chanterelles at the market :)
It’s another easy recipe that comes together in about 30 minutes, which makes it ideal for weeknights. Just writing about it makes my mouth water!
If you want to replace cashews, sunflower and hemp seeds work well for a nut-free version. However, sunflower seeds don’t taste as neutral so I strongly recommend soaking them in boiling water for at least 10 minutes to remove bitterness.
If you try this recipe, make sure to snap a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #valisesetgourmandises. I wanna see your creations! And don’t forget to leave a comment below :)
4-Ingredient Easy Vegan Cream
- 1/2 cup cashews*
- 100 g silken tofu
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water*
- Place all the ingredients in your blender and process until nice and smooth, about one minute.
- Taste and adjust if necessary.
- Use immediately or transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate.
- If you don’t have a high-power blender, soak the nuts for 2 hours before making the cream
- This amount of water yields the perfect consistency, in my opinion. The sauce will thicken up a bit in the fridge and can be thinned out with a little bit of water
- Can be frozen but will need to be mixed well once thawed
- To make sour cream, only use 1/2 cup water and add 1 teaspoon lemon juice